Wang Chenghai, male, Ph.D, Professor, doctoral supervisor. The director of research and development center of earth system model in Lanzhou University. He received bachelor degree from Chengdu University of Information Technology, master degree from Lanzhou University, and Ph.D degree from University of Chinese Academy of Sciences. He visited and researched at UIUC-ISWS in USA from 2006-2008 and department of meteorology, University of free Berlin in Germany in 2013.
Awards and honors
Prof. Wang is the National renowned teacher of meteorology; Distinguished teacher in university of Gansu province; Excellent teacher of Baosteel education foundation; The 'my favorite ten teachers' fifth session in Lanzhou University.
He received the First prize of teaching achievement in Lanzhou University; Teaching achievement award of Gansu Provincial Department of Education; Excellent master's thesis in Gansu Province (2 papers); Excellent doctoral thesis instructor of Lanzhou University; First prize of ' Fundamental research award of atmospheric science' of Chinese Meteorological Society (2018-JC-1-0302).
He is the Chair of University distinguished teaching team of 'Numerical Weather Prediction' in Gansu province; he also is the primary investigator in projects of The National Natural Science Foundation of China.
He is the visiting professor in Ramkhamhaeng University in Thailand. He has been the Member of the National Standardization Technical Committee on climate and climate change (SAC/TC540) in 1st and 2st committee, and the member of the Technical Committee on wind energy, solar energy and climate resources (SAC/TC540/SC2); Member of dynamic meteorology committee of China Meteorological Society; Member of the statistical and forecasting committee of the Chinese Meteorological Society and the member of climate change and low carbon development committee of China Meteorological Society; Member of the 27th drought Meteorological Committee of China Meteorological Society; Vice chairman of the 10th climate and climate change committee of Gansu meteorological society; Member of evaluation committee of Gansu youth science and technology innovation competition (2012-2016).
He is the member of editorial board of these journals: 'Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions' (Initial publication—2013), 'Frontiers', 'Glaciers and permafrost', 'Drought Meteorology', and 'Journal of Atmospheric Science Research'.
Research interests and major academic achievements
(1) Research on the land-air interactions in cold region: systematically proposed the feedback of soil frozen and thawing process on atmospheric circulation early; Build a Fully Coupled water-heat transport Scheme (FCS) based on the land surface model; Proposed and build one parameterization scheme of freeze-thaw process.
(2) Atmospheric numerical model and modelling: focused on the study in physics parameterization of the model, proposed a Kain-Fritsch’s BW (Bullock–Wang) scheme that is more suitable for the simulation of weak and deep convection.
(3) The prediction in seasonal and sub season climate, monsoon variability: proposed the principle of soil freezing and thawing process as external forcing of atmospheric motion, suggested that the 'storage' effect of soil water in the process of soil freezing-thawing can be traced back to a season ago, it can be a “signal” to the seasonal climate prediction and applied to practice of seasonal climate prediction.
(4) Climate research in drought regions: quantifies the water vapor cycle and recycling in drought areas under the background of global warming.
(5) The prediction of wind and solar power: developed the wind power prediction approaches based on atmospheric model and modelling.
He published more than 170 papers, and edited books including 'Atmospheric numerical model and modelling'、'Climate change and desertification'、'Fundamentals of numerical weather prediction', etc..
1. Wang Chenghai*, Kai Yang, Zhang Feimin. Impacts of Soil Freeze–Thaw Process and Snow Melting Over Tibetan Plateau on Asian Summer Monsoon System: a Review and Perspective. Frontier-Earther Science. 2020. DOI: 10.3389/feart.2020.00133
2. Li Jiamin, Wang Chenghai*, An Evaporation Correction Approach and its Characteristics. J.H.M. 2020. DOI: 10.1175/JHM-D-18-0211.1
3. Wang C*, Wu D, Zhang F. Modification of the convective adjustment time-scale in the Kain–Fritsch eta scheme for the case of weakly forced deep convection over the Tibetan Plateau region. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. 2019;1–18. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.3535.
4. Wang Chenghai*, Zhilan Wang, Ying Kong, Feimin Zhang, Kai Yang & Tingjun Zhang. Most of the Northern Hemisphere Permafrost Remains under Climate Change. Scientific Reports. 2019. DOI : 10.1038/s41598-019-39942-4. SREP-17-40011
5. Kai Yang, Chenghai Wang*, Shiyue Li. Improved simulation of Frozen-Thawing Process in Land Surface Model (CLM4.5). J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 2017. DOI: 10.1029/2017JD028260.
6. Kai Yang; Chenghai Wang*. Water storage effect of soil freeze-thaw process and its impacts on soil moisture variations. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. DOI：10.1016/j.agrformet.2018.11.011
7. Wang, C. *, & Yang, K. (2018). A news scheme for considering soil water-heat transport coupling based on Community Land Model: Model description and preliminary validation. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 10, 927–950. https://doi.org/10.1002/2017MS001148
8. Wang Chenghai*, Yang Kai，Yiling Li, Di Wu, Yue Bo. Impacts of Spatiotemporal Anomalies of Tibetan Plateau Snow Cover on Summer Precipitation in East China. J.C, 2017（30）885-903.DOI: 10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0041.1
9. Yang, K., C. Wang*, and H. Bao (2016), Contribution of soil moisture variability to summer precipitation in the Northern Hemisphere, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 121, 12,108–12,124, doi:10.1002/2016JD025644.
10. Shi Hongxia, Wang Chenghai*, Projected 21st century changes in snow water equivalent over Northern Hemisphere landmasses from the CMIP5 model ensemble. The Cryosphere. 9, 1943–1953, 2015, doi: 10.5194/tc-9-1943-2015
11. Wang Chenghai*, Guo Yipeng, Trends in Precipitation Recycling over the Qinghai-Xizang Plateau in Last Decades. Journal of Hydrology. 2014,(517). 826-835. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.06.006 .
12. Wang Chenghai*, Zhifu Zhang, Wenshou Tian, 2011, Factors Affecting The Surface Radiation Trends Over China Between 1960-2000. Atmospheric Environment. 45. 2379-2385, DOI：10.1016/ j.atmosenv.2011.02.028
13. Wang Chenghai*, Dong wenjie, Wei zhigang，Study on Relationship between Freezing-Thawing Processes of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and the Atmospheric Circulation over East Asia，Chinese Journal of Geophysics. 2003,46(3):438-441. DOI:10.1002/cjg2.3361.
Telephone and FAX：0931-8914115
Address：No.222 Tianshui South Road, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province