Director: Academician Fu Congbin
Deputy director: Professor Tian Wenshou and Dai Xingang
Environmental change is a challenging and complicated science issue all around the world, of which the research objects covered lithosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere and biosphere of the earth system, and of which the research content included every phenomenon and process happened in each part of the earth system and their interactions among each other. Besides, human behaviors share complicated influences and responses with environmental changes in the globe. Global environmental changes involve three aspects mainly, which are physical, chemical and biological process. With infinite opportunities, Integrated analysis and coupling simulation study about these three processes were just started. With support from Mr. Fu Congbin, a famous scientist and am academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences, the Institute of Environmental Changes was established in Atmosphere Science College of Lanzhou University. This institute is an active study team which takes Mr. Fu as its leader and Professor Huang Jianping, Tian Wenshou, Wang Chenghai and Dai Xingang as its core members. Since its establishment, this institute achieved great advance and showed promising future with support from Mr. Fu. Some advantageous research fields had attracted great support both in finance and human resource while new research directions are still under exploration.
At present, main research directions and content of the institute include:
1. The interaction among terrestrial ecology, climate and human activities: research of this part mainly focuses on the role which vegetation played in the water circulation of earth system and the influence of the global changes on the terrestrial ecological system;
2. The interaction between atmospheric aerosol and climate: research of this part mainly focuses on the interaction between aerosol and clouds, and the radiation climate effect of the aerosol;
3. The interaction between chemical processes of atmosphere and climate: research of this part mainly focuses on the role which the chemical processes of atmosphere played in the climate system and the long-term evolution trend of trace gas;
4. Research of land surface processes: research of this part mainly focuses on the interaction between freeze-and-thaw processes and plateau monsoon, and the interaction between land surface processes and ground layer processes;
5. Climate prediction and climate dynamics: research of this part mainly focuses on the theories and principles used in both short-term and long-term climate prediction.